RAC Rescue has been operating in the Car Breakdown market for over 112 years. Founded in 1897, the RAC is also known as the Royal Automobile Club and is the second largest car breakdown provider in the UK, with the AA in the top spot and Green Flag at number three.
The RAC has built a strong trusted consumer reputation and now has over 7 million members. The RAC have there own patrols and attend over 2.8 million call outs per year.
RAC Roadside Assistance & Recovery Services
The RAC are owned by AVIVA, also known as Norwich Union Insurance, the RAC utilises its parents backing to provide customers with the latest market information and technology.
RAC Breakdown cover is best for:
- People who like the reassurance of being with a professional bigger player
- People with cars under 10 years old, as the standard vehicle policy allows 5 call outs per year and recovery is not available for vehicles over 10 years old.
Reasons to buy a RAC Rescue package:
- Second largest provider of car assistance services will over 100 years of experience
- Competitively priced, challenging the AA for cover and cost
- c40% on-line discount
- Over 2,500 RAC trained UK patrols*, in recognisable vehicles and uniforms. This is more patrols than any other car breakdown provider.
- On average the RAC reach customers within 40 minutes of the call out and give priority to people in vulnerable situations.
- Repair on average 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside.
- Offer no call out discounts should you have not used the service on the prior year of membership
- Mobile signal technology to be able to find you, even if you don't know where you are
- Backed by AVIVA, also known as Norwich Union
Reasons not to buy RAC car breakdown cover:
- Not the cheapest company providing car breakdown cover
- Not as many options as other companies, specifically no Repair Cover as you can get with the AA. This covers the cost of both the parts and labour of any repair required, however if your car is repaired at the roadside you will only be charged for the parts, as labour is covered by your policy fee.
- Policy only covers for 5 callouts per year, unless you choose a joint/ family or 2/3 vehicle policy, then you receive more call outs as standard
Choosing the right RAC breakdown policy for you:
Like other car breakdown providers, the RAC offer a standard Roadside package which you can then add options to in order to tailor make a policy to suit your own needs. Firstly you need to choose whether to have personal policy or not, so either any vehicle you drive has breakdown cover whilst you are it's driver or instead you insure a specific vehicle itself. Personal cover is more expensive than vehicle only cover. You also need to decide whether a joint, family or 2/3 vehicle policy would be best for you.
- Roadside. Policy covers:- Roadside assistance. Prices start from £28.
- Nationwide Recovery. Policy covers:- Roadside assistance as above plus vehicle recovery to one UK address as long as you are more than 1/4 mile from home, Transportation for up to 8 people, no claim discount. Prices start from £70
- At Home Cover. Policy covers:-Roadside assistance as above, Home Cover (assistance at or within 1/4 mile of home), no claim discount. Currently the RAC are offering free recovery with this option. Prices start from £79
- Onward Travel. Policy covers:-Must be added to the Nationwide Recovery policy above and extends to cover the following should a repair not be possible. Replacement car for 3 days, reimbursement for rail, air or other public transport travel, ( £150 per person or £500 for a group or whichever is the least) one night Bed and Breakfast for up to 8 people, special medical support if a member of the group is hospitalised more than 20 miles from home. Prices start from £101
- Full UK Package. Policy covers Roadside assistance, National Recovery, At Home support,plus on-ward travel if necessary. Prices start from £141
- European cover. The RAC European insurance can be purchased separately to any UK cover.
- Basic European - single trip of up to 5 days. Policy covers:- Roadside assistance, recovery to the nearest garage, English speaking incident manager on call at all times, help bringing you, your vehicle and passengers home (excess applies); or
- Comprehensive European - annual single or multi-trip. Policy covers:- Roadside assistance, recovery to nearest garage, English-speaking incident managers on call at all times, Emergency repairs of up to £150, replacement driver if your only driver is taken ill, help covering the costs of accommodation continuing your journey or getting back to the UK
The RAC website is found at www.rac.co.uk.